The original Trinity Church building stood where St. Mark’s Church, Sussex Corner, now stands. It was decided to build a new church closer to the railroad beside the newly constructed rectory and construction of this Gothic Revival church began in 1873 and the present Trinity Church was consecrated on February 24, 1874. The interior looks like an inverted ship with beautiful use of black ash, walnut and butternut.
“A History of Trinity Church, Sussex, N.B.” is available.
Everyone is welcome to historic Trinity Anglican Church in the Parish of Sussex
St. John’s Church, Highfield was built in 1912, replacing a church that burned. It was consecrated in 1928. This is the third church on the site. Formerly, it was part of a three point parish including the long gone St. Paul’s Church, Goshen and St. Barnabas’, Canaan Rapids. In 2011, St. John’s Church became a part of the Parish of Sussex.
The original church was built in 1880 on Leonard Road Property. It was dedicated on October 29, 1884 by Bishop Medley. The church was later moved to the corner of the in 1907. The church was deconsecrated July 20, 1975. The stained glass window that is above the altar in the St. John’s Anglican Church, Highfield, was removed from Saint Paul’s and placed there before demolition.
St. Barnabas’ Church Canaan Rapids demolished c. 1940